Planning Meeting Minutes
September 7, 2005
by Nancy Cohen
Lin Creel called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m.
ATTENDANCE: Lin Creel, Connie Gasque, Kathy Bondonese, Nancy Cohen, Debbie Kilbane, Lois Madrid, Biv Watson
SECRETARY REPORT: Nancy Cohen read the minutes of the August planning meeting, and they were accepted.
NEW BUSINESS: Lin asked Debbie Kilbane to make a note on the Grant Report that the delays in meeting the dive schedule has been weather related.
Nancy requested that fish tests be conducted four times a year on a two-year rotation. Fish counters would be responsible for recertifying within that time period.
Additionally, she suggested the test be conducted at 6:30 pm to allow for travel to the site under less congested traffic situations and at a more convenient time for members.
Debbie asked how trainees would accomplish this testing so that they could begin fish counts immediately.
Nancy suggested that the fish test be incorporated into the training.
Lin noted that the annual fish test can be changed by the procedures outlined in the by-laws of the Team. Rigorous testing has built the Team's reputation with the State.
Nancy noted that the by-laws could be changed.
The discussion was tabled until the rotation of the current Grant is ready to expire.
Lin reminded the board that members not qualified to count fish would not be abe to count fish on the Team dives.
Lin advised that PBCRRT ranks 3rd among 12 volunteer teams competing for the State Grants. Connie Gasque inquired as to what the other two teams were doing to surpass us.
Janet Phipps will be asked to investigate this matter.
Connie Gasque offered to call Bob Hersey and Janet Phipps to remind them of the Fish Test at 6:00 pm.
Connie will confer with Janet and Paul Davis about ERM employees who have taken the Fish class need experience with the team. In order to count fish they must pass the fish test.
Lin would like to cut back on the number of guest speakers to perhaps once every other month. On alternate months, he would like to utilize the meeting for skills training to include: invertebrate discussion, turtle identification, and safety discussion. He suggested that 20-minute increments be devoted to each presentation.
Lin will remind mentors to continue vigilance in their misson.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Kathy Bondonese reported that the Team has $4453.87 in the FOS account and $187 in petty cash. The digital projector cost $1363.00. She has tax exemption forms available for any Team member who needs one.
1.Sept. 17th the Team dive will be Diamondhead/Zion Train aboard the Narcosis.
2. The Coral Cove site will not be monitored as it is unmanageable.
3. Shallow dives for the Grant will be two on Sugar Sands and one on Rybovitch.
4. One Dive on MG111, and it will be paired with Warrior Reef, which is new. Connie requested GPS on this site.
5. South Dives: Gulfstream/Lynn's Reef-Lady Go Diver; Yellowtail/Flower Garden (beginning of Larsen's Valley)-Narcosis. Dates need to be set for these by the next planning meeting. Data collected will establish a baseline for future monitoring.
6. Wade Pemberton needs to update the Website for the make up dive.
7. The state of Florida operates an ongoing program on reef resiliency during a two-week period in August. Janet would like the Team to assist in this endeavor. The purpose is to record the impact of water temperature on hard coral. Data collected will include Family and Species, color, size (h, w, l), and condition. Dives will be aboard the County boat. Janet will train divers.
GRANT REPORT: Debbie will be meeting with Janet Phipps. Additionally, she needs to meet with Lois to fine-tune the recording and presentation of data.